Thursday, September 25, 2014

Sparkle Hair, Freckles and Firecrackers

So, I've always said that when I started going gray I was going to dye my hair red. Then, when I was working as a chemotherapy nurse, I tried on a redhead wig. It was a beautiful wig, but not on me! I guess I should have realized I didn't have the right skin for red hair but it really was a bit of a disappointment. Maria, however, looks great with red hair! That's a consolation to me. I enjoy seeing it on her.




I was then planning on coloring my hair at least my normal dark brown color. However, my hair grows very, very quickly.  I think it took about a year to go from hair just below my ears to hair this long.  That may not seem like a problem but when you are a Chia Pet, you are going to have roots growing out so very quickly! I do NOT like the idea of roots showing. So, what to do? Well, I'm thinking I should just let it happen. I decided I will just gray gracefully. Truthfully, I only have about 4 of them but they are actually kind of pretty... so far.
I've decided to think of my new hairs as my "sparkle hair".  Doesn't that put a better spin on it? I also have a lot of freckles on my hands. I INSIST on calling them freckles, not age spots!  I always wanted freckles.  Now, I just need to think of a positive sounding name for wrinkles.  I always wanted dimples?  Maybe if I get enough sagging in my cheeks, some of it will sink inward. 

A little aside here... I recently met a patient with a b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l dimple. When I complimented her on it she told me it was fake. I thought she'd had consmetic surgery to get it but that wasn't it. She'd been hit in the face with a firecracker as a child and it left behind nothing more than a deep and delightful dimple. When she told me that story I exclaimed, "Why couldn't I have been hit in the face with a firecracker?!"

Anyway, I'm not really fretting all that much about this aging process. I've not really claimed it yet. It doesn't seem possible that I am closer to 60 than 50 when I'm not even quite used to being in my 40s!  Does anyone else feel this way?

When I was young, I guess I figured older people felt like that was just who they were...an old person. I had no idea that inside that older person was someone wondering what happened to themselves? 

OK, I'm done rambling about aging. I don't have time for that business anyway.

4 comments:

Maria Rose said...

I recently read a quote that put aging into perspective for me, "Do not regret getting older, it is a privilege denied to many." Puts wrinkles and weird hair into perspective.

Cindy said...

Your hair is gorgeous!! I've been hashing over the idea of getting bangs. I was telling my daughter the other day that it seems everyone her age wears their hair without bangs, but most women my age have bangs. But I haven't had bangs in more than 15 years. I'm always thinking about my mom and grandma when they were my age. "Did my mom have these thoughts? Is THIS wht my grandma always smelled like baby powder?!?" Oh, the things aging does to a person. :)

Sue said...

Hahaha! You made me smile. Actually, that photo is a couple years old and I now have my bangs grown out again.However, I think I will be cutting them this week-end. Life is full of a lot of big decisions like the bangs or no bangs question, huh? Thank you for the hair compliment. Now, where did I put that baby powder?

Mom said...

Yes, it does. How did you get so smart?

Featured Post

My Life as a Travel Agent

On a recent morning I was at work and as one of my patients was waiting for his death, I thought again about an idea that keeps popping int...