Tuesday, January 05, 2016

2016 - Year of Music and Needles!

I made a couple resolutions for 2016.  I have the usual thoughts of eating better, exercising more, etc.  However, I decided that this is a good year for me to put some new effort into exercising my brain.  I want to do it in a fun way, though.

Over the course of my adult life I have often been learning new things.  I went through an EMT course and really learned a lot through that.  I took a CNA course and then went back to college, graduating with my nursing degree at age 40.  I certainly felt that I learned a lot of new things during those years.

Once I was a nurse, I kept learning and studying.  I earned certifications in a few different areas.  The hardest was gaining certification as an oncology nurse.  It was stressful but I really enjoyed learning so much and feeling more competent when I was working as an oncology nurse.

I've learned some new things at my current job but I admit I've been cruising a bit over the last 2 years.  I have areas of nursing I need to further explore, more to learn, but I think I need to focus some on different areas of learning.

So...

I decided to try to learn two new, fun things this year.

I want to learn to knit and I want to learn to play the clarinet.  I've started already with the clarinet. My generous mother-in-law gave us each Christmas money and I took the opportunity to order a clarinet. Nope, I am not planning on doing anything too fancy but I have decided to at least learn to play enough to enjoy it myself.  So, meet my new clarinet!  Don't worry.  I know it is not a flute and that is not how I should hold it.  It was just difficult to take a selfie that included me and the clarinet if I held it downward.


I bought a couple of books and I've started learning.  It sounds pretty!  OK, that is NOT true.  Actually, it sounds PRETTY AWFUL!  I don't care.  I'm having fun!  I can play Hot Cross Buns all by myself!

These are my teachers...



I am not the only one in the family pursuing music this year.  I don't want to brag about our grandchildren (that was a big lie) but I would like to point out that this little beauty, practicing for a church talent show, is only 6 years old.  




She and her Daddy are going to do "My Girl."  Isn't that just the most adorable thing you ever saw/heard?




4 comments:

Maria Rose said...

You should look into YouTube tutorials too!

Cindy said...

Wow, your granddaughter is really good! You've inspired me. I'm going to look around and see if there's anything around here that I could get better at this year. There IS an electric keyboard downstairs...

Mom said...

Good idea.

Sue said...

Cindy, I will be waiting to hear how you are doing on the keyboard!

Featured Post

My Life as a Travel Agent

On a recent morning I was at work and as one of my patients was waiting for his death, I thought again about an idea that keeps popping int...